I am the designer and developer of the COSMOS software platform. The target users of COSMOS are data analysts, such as social scientists, who want to visualize, analyze and mash together social media and traditional curated data sets but who do not have the programming background to enable them to do so.
COSMOS is a collaboration between computer and social scientists at the UK universities of Cardiff, St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Warwick. COSMOS Desktop is available for download.
See how COSMOS Desktop works by watching the videos in the COSMOS YouTube playlist.
COSMOS on the Web
- Studying social media enables real-time social research
- Collaborative Online Social Media Observatory (COSMOS)
- COSMOS: Beginnings, Emerging Findings and Possible Futures (NCRM Podcast)
- Using Twitter as a data source: An overview of current social media research tools (LSE Blog)
- COSMOS - New Social Media New Social Science (SlideShare)
- Going viral in social media - networks & intercepted misinformation
- Big Social Data with COSMOS (Web Science Trust Webinar)
- Who Tweets with Their Location? Understanding the Relationship between Demographic Characteristics and the Use of Geoservices and Geotagging on Twitter
- Sloan, L. and Morgan, J.
- PLoS ONE 10(11)
- Who Tweets? Deriving the Demographic Characteristics of Age, Occupation and Social Class from Twitter User Meta-Data
- Sloan, L., Morgan, J., Burnap, P. and Williams, M.
- PLoS ONE, 10(3)
- Big and broad social data and the sociological imagination: A collaborative response
- Housley, W., Procter, R., Edwards, E., Burnap, P., Williams, M., Sloan, L., Rana, O., Morgan, J., Voss, A. and Greenhill, A.
- Big Data & Society, 1(2): 1-15
- COSMOS: Towards an Integrated and Scalable Service for Analyzing Social Media on Demand
- Burnap, P., Rana, O., Williams, M., Housley, W., Edwards, A., Morgan, J, Sloan, L. and Conejero, J.
- International Journal of Parallel, Emergent and Distributed Systems, (30)2: 80-100
- Detecting Tension in Online Communities with Computational Twitter Analysis
- Burnap, P., Rana, O., Avis, N., Williams, M., Housley, W., Edwards, A., Morgan, J. and Sloan, L.
- Technological Forecasting and Social Change, (95)6: 96–108
- Scaling Archived Social Media Data Analysis using a Hadoop Cloud
- Conejero, J., Burnap, P., Rana, O. and Morgan, J.
- Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD), San Francisco USA: 685-692
- Characterising the Power Consumption of Hadoop Clouds: A Social Media Analysis Case Study
- Conejero, J., Rana, O., Burnap, P., Morgan, J., Carrion, C and Caminero, B.
- Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing and Services Science (CLOSER), Aachen, Germany Best paper award
- Knowing the Tweeters: Deriving Sociologically Relevant Demographics from Twitter
- Sloan, L., Morgan, J., Housley, W., Williams, M.L., Edwards, A., Burnap, P. and Rana, O.
- Sociological Research Online, 18(3)
- Policing Cyber-Neighbourhoods: Tension Monitoring and Social Media Networks
- Williams, M.L. Edwards, A., Housley, W., Burnap, P., Rana, O., Avis, N., Morgan, J. and Sloan, L.
- Policing & Society, 23(4): 461-481